Original description as Goodea atripinnis:
- Jordan, David Starr. 1880. "Notes on a collection of fishes obtained in the streams of Guanajuato and in Chapala Lake, Mexico, by Prof. A. Dugès". Proceeding of the United States National Museum. v. 2(n. 94), pp. 298-301 (ffm04501)
- Characodon luitpoldi Steindachner, 1894, with type locality at Lake Pátzcuaro, Michoacan, Mexico. Determiner: Köck, 2012
- Xenedum caliente Jordan & Snyder, 1899, with type locality at Rio Verde near Aguascalientes, Mexico. Determiner: Meek, 1904
- Xenedum xaliscone Jordan & Snyder, 1899, with type locality at Laguna de Chapala, near Ocotlan, Jalisco, Mexico. Determiner: Regan, 1906
- Goodea gracilis Hubbs & Turner, 1939, with type locality at Santa María del Río, San Luis Potosí, Mexico. Determiner: Huber, 2019
Conservation: Goodea atripinnis is evaluated by the international union for the conservation of nature in the iucn red list of threatened species as (LC) least concern (2019).