Original description as Ceratichthys sallaei:
- Günther, Albert C. L. G. 1868. "Catalogue of the Physostomi, containing the families Heteropygii, Cyprinidae, Gonorhynchidae, Hyodontidae, Osteoglossidae, Clupeidae,.. Halosauridae, in the collection of the British Museum". Catalogue of the fishes in the British Museum. v. 7, pp. 1-512 (ffm00092)
- Codoma vittata Girard, 1856, with type locality at Valley of Mexico. Determiner: Gilbert, 1978
- Notropis aztecus Woolman, 1894, with type locality at Canal around Mexico City, D. F., Mexico. Determiner: Gilbert, 1978
- Aztecula mexicana Meek, 1902, with type locality at Río Moctezuma at San Juan del Río, Queretaro, Mexico. Determiner: Gilbert, 1978
- Notropis lermae Evermann & Goldsborough, 1902, with type locality at Lake Lerma, near the town of Lerma, State of Mexico, Mexico. Determiner: Gilbert, 1978
Conservation: Aztecula sallaei is evaluated by the international union for the conservation of nature in the iucn red list of threatened species as (LC) least concern (2018).